in Search

GPS goes into power off when putting in idle (display off)

Last post 05-27-2009, 13:34 by chrisonline. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-19-2008, 14:44 1068

GPS goes into power off when putting in idle (display off)

Hi,

Previously I was using the fantastic trackr on Glofiish X500. Then I switch to P3600 from HTC.

However, I was not working so fine (not mention the fact that GPS qualcom was lower quality than X500 Sirf III chipset), the problem was when I press the power button to lower consumption (turn off the display, and the touch screen), the GPS also turn off on the HTC P3600 (and probably the same happens on other HTC)

I just found out how to fix this issue!! (after several weeks of research, I'm very happy to share this with you :D )

First, you need a registry editor, I'm using Total commander freeware, but you can use others...

Second, you need to find the "name" of the GPS driver, usually it is GPD0, but on my HTC it was different ! to find correct name, check the value of string registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\DriverInterface

On my P3600 HTC (SPV M700 from Orange) it was GPD1: !

Then, you go to power management settings in registry, and add the DWORD value " gpd1: " in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Unattended
    (you should already have others values such as wav1: and so on)
    The value that should be in gpd1: is 0 (means keep it ON)
    4 means power it off.

I also added the gpd1: value in other "folders" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\ to make sure the gps will keep it on.

Resuming
    Suspend
    UserIdle

(because under these folders, the default value is not 0 = keep it ON). I've not fully tested this, but it seems to work, I may reduce the folders were I put GPS on, I think "Unattended" is enough...)

Please let me know and give your feedback on this if you have the same issue.
    BR
    LouiZo

•  11-19-2008, 16:41 1070 in reply to 1068

Re: GPS goes into power off when putting in idle (display off)

I have tried you're solution, but it did not work for me. And I soft rebooted at every registry change for full effect.
  •  11-21-2008, 11:25 1074 in reply to 1070

Hi

Did you check that it was GPD1: also on your mobile? Usually it is GPD0:, I don't know why on my machine it was GPD1:

I've give instructions to make sure of the name (check of  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\DriverInterface value)

I've added " GPD1: " (don't forget the ":" character at the end) on all these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Resuming
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Suspend
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\UserIdle

Every thing was working fine before doing this (Live mode was working fine, sending track and GPS was working fine) if I do not "turn off" the phone (pressing the button to switch off the display and put in idle... still able to receive call and turn on in a second of course.. )

The only thing my "trick" change, is that the GPS stays active when youput in idle... before that, the idle mode was disconnecting the GPS, and when turning on, I can see trackr reconnecting to the GPS reactivating, and almost no trace were made during idle...

Is it the fix you are looking for?

BR,
    LouiZo

•  11-21-2008, 11:26 1075 in reply to 1070

Eraser:
    I have tried you're solution, but it did not work for me. And I soft rebooted at every registry change for full effect.

Not sure, but It seems to be immediate action (I only close and restart trackr to check...)

•  11-26-2008, 21:43 1088 in reply to 1075

I've test your solution, but it don't work for my HTC Touch Diamond.

For me it was 'COM4:'

I've add a DWORD to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\UserIdle

I hope someone have a solution for the HTC Touch Diamond.

Greetz.  

•  03-04-2009, 19:46 1211 in reply to 1088

On my HTC Touch Diamond I found the intermediate GPS driver on COM4.

I have only altered the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Unattended registry key:
    Added the DWORD COM4: (don't forget the : ) , with value 0
    Also the GPD0: was present in this registry key, with value 4, I changed that to 0.

This did the trick on my diamond.

Henk 

Filed under:
  •  05-14-2009, 21:47 1364 in reply to 1211

Strange, normally a lot of things work the same on a htc touch pro. But somehowe this is not the solution for my touch pro.

•  05-15-2009, 10:16 1365 in reply to 1364

Worked on my HTC Touch Pro by setting gpd0 to 0 instead of 4

In the following:  

I do not belive that adding a DWORD for com 4: will have any effect, as this i the comport (selectable under start/settings/system/external GPS on the user interface) used for external GPS devises!

•  05-27-2009, 13:34 1388 in reply to 1365

I have a little different problem with my HTC P3600.

The GPS is active while the screen is OFF, but after swichting the screen ON the GPS signal is lost.
    I have GPD1: in Unattended / Resuming / Suspend / User Idle

I have in all registry keys (unattendend, resuming, suspend, user idle) a strange folder:
    {EB91C7C9.... } under this folder the DWORD is "Default" and Data is 4.

View as RSS news feed in XML